Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Come! Do not be afraid!

"At once Jesus spoke to them, 'Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.' Peter said to him in reply, 'Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.' He said, 'Come.'"
Matthew 14:27-29

Jesus may have said these words to the disciples two thousand years ago, but he says them to us every day of our lives. "Come," Jesus says to us as we embark on a new job, relationship, or adventure. Come, step out of yourselves and pay attention to others. Come, participate in a mission trip or your parish carnival. Come, leave your selfish habits, harsh judgments and fearful misgivings behind and step out!  And, at the same time, Jesus reassures us, saying "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid." Do not be afraid to do any of the above...you do it with me.  Do not be afraid when things seem turbulent around you and the storms of life rock your little boat.  It is I, who have called you to live in this time, in this place, doing what you do. Do not be afraid when things seem scary or uncertain. I do my best work in scary and uncertain times! Jesus, sometimes we feel tossed around just like the disciples on the stormy sea. We want to trust that you are there for us, your hand outstretched to steady us. Help us to seek you and trust you! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment