Thursday, September 8, 2016

A better question...

"Instead of asking 'What does God want me to do?' Ask 'What kind of person does God want me to be?'"
Fr. Radmar Jao, SJ, Sunday homily 9/4/16

This is an amazing discernment tool given by Fr. Radmar at St. Paul's at BSU this last Sunday. I will post the link below for all the homilies from St. Paul's...you can listen to them on Soundcloud and they are WELL worth your time! So often, when we are faced with too many things to do we try to discern what would God want us to do. Fair enough. But this question, "What kind of person does God want me to be?" may be a better discernment question.  Then we can filter the activities or tasks through that lens and ask ourselves, "Does this activity lead me to be the person God wants me to be? Does it support my transformation? Or not?" First, it causes us to sit down and really ponder what the person God wants us to be looks like. That's worth prayerful exploration right there. Next we can ask God for guidance and help in becoming the person God knows we are deep inside and wants us to show to the world. And maybe, some of the things we are doing or activities we are choosing are not the best for us.  I've been thinking about this since I heard the homily and it really is an amazing process!  I encourage you to check out the St. Paul's Preaching page here:
http://www.broncocatholic.org/preaching
This series is called "You Got This," and Fr. Bentz and Fr. Radmar are knocking it out of the ballpark!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment