Thursday, September 1, 2016

Better at the follow-through

"Simon said in reply, 'Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets.'"
Luke 5:5

This little conversation between Jesus and Peter is so similar to the little exchanges I have with Jesus throughout any given day.  I wish I could say that I'm as compliant as Peter, but, usually, I'm not.  Here's an example, Jesus: "Maybe you should go over and talk to her, she looks lonely." Me: "No, I don't want to bother her." Jesus makes suggestions to me all day for nice things I could do and I usually talk myself out of them, preferring to stay safe within myself and not reaching out to others. Ever once in a while I may pull a Peter and say, "Well, if you insist..." After those times I am very aware that was the right thing to do and am grateful I acquiesced. I love the way Peter makes his doubts known, though..."We have tried this, Friend, and weren't successful, but if you want us to..." His mild little protest said out loud, then he does what Jesus suggests.  If I could be a bit better at the follow-through, instead of just stopping at the protest!  Help me, Lord!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment