Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pray all ways...

"Rising very early before dawn, Jesus left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed."
Mark 1:35

One other version I have of this scripture says Jesus "was absorbed in prayer." I love that! Years ago, if someone would have suggested to me to rise early, before dawn, to pray I would have thought them crazy! At that point, rising early would have seemed more taxing than restorative to me. I wasn't in the frame of mind that praying and spending time with God in silence and solitude was helpful in getting through the rest of my busy day. I assumed sleep was what I needed to fuel me for the day ahead. But the more time I spend in silence and prayer, I more I see its restorative qualities.  I can get through the busy week much better after a Silent Sunday.  I need to touch base with the Source of all I need to do what I do.  Our ways of praying may be different though. One person may find it prayerful to be out in nature, another may feel rejuvenated sitting in Adoration for a spell. I was surprised to find shoveling somewhat contemplative and prayerful last weekend. It was quiet outside and the rhythm of shoveling seemed to sort of carry my mind away in prayer and contemplation. Spending time with God is prayer, no matter what the exact activity may be. Jesus shows us how doing just that can give us what we need to live our lives more peacefully. We are to pray always and pray all ways, as Fr. Ed Hays used to say.  Let's think about that today! Love, heidi 

No comments:

Post a Comment