Thursday, March 16, 2017

Open the door...

"Jesus said to the Pharisees, 'There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus..."
Luke 16:19-20

As I pondered this reading this morning, I wondered to myself (that's what happens when you live alone) who are the Lazaruses (Lazari?) at my door? I know there are people I step over each day to go about my everyday life.  It pains me to recognize this, but it also is the point of Jesus' story to the Pharisees. There are people in our lives who have much to teach us, but we ignore them. They may seem difficult to us, or they make us uncomfortable.  The guy on the corner by Walmart with the sign. The relative we never contact. Jesus is reminding us that we don't need to look far to find the people who have the most to teach us. We don't need to go to a far off land to help far off strangers, admirable as that may be. All we need do is look outside our own door, in our own little lives and the lesson is right there.  All this makes me so ill at ease. I like being in my cozy little world with me inside and Lazarus outside.  The idea of inviting Lazarus in is unsettling.  Blessedly, I don't have to do it alone.  Lord, please help me to see Lazarus, invite him in and show him hospitality.  He is You...Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment