Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Return with your whole heart...

"Even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart...Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the Lord, your God."
Joel 2:12-13

Funny how familiar these words are to us who have grown up with Lent. This morning, when the reader on Pray-As-You-Go read them, I could recite them from memory.  But each year, familiar as the readings are, it's a new Lent. I am on a completely different space on my journey than I was last year on Ash Wednesday and that's a good thing.  This year Lent means something different than previous years, because I'm different.  I was thinking of the Prodigal Son reading and thinking how the wayward son was feeding the pigs, yet starving himself and, suddenly, it dawned on him to go home and face his father. That was his Ash Wednesday, choosing to go back and seek forgiveness and reconciliation with his father.  We all may not feel as estranged from God as our friend the Prodigal Son, but each of us can decide to return home and embrace our loving God. The best part is that God will be scanning the horizon, watching for us. The minute we are just a dot in God's view, God will come a runnin', meeting us on the road! And that is such a beautiful thing! Blessings on your Ash Wednesday! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment