Thursday, October 5, 2017

Fleeing to the desert...

"We don't come to the monastery to get away from suffering; we come to hold the suffering of all the world."
Thomas Merton, as quoted in Richard Rohr's Daily Meditation, 10/5/2017

Tonight, I head over to the western side of the state to begin my five day silent retreat at Marymount. I shared with Sister Beverly that I have never felt more need to retreat...to get away from the suffering of this country and world, but, I see that going on retreat I can learn to hold the suffering instead of escaping it. Even as I can escape the news when I am unplugged at the hermitage, the images of the suffering of our fellow humans beings, be they hurricane victims, refugees, immigrants, or those running from crazed gunfire, are still in my mind and heart. No, I will not be getting away from the suffering, but as I tune into the Holy Spirit in the silence, I can learn to hold it and somehow allow it to transform. And, as always, anything I glean on retreat I am meant to share when I return. Dear Friends, you will all be in my prayers at the hermitage, and will place your intentions on the altar while there.  Much love, heidi


No comments:

Post a Comment