Monday, October 2, 2017

Just do it! With love!

"A man had two sons. He came to the first and said, 'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.' He said in reply, 'I will not,' but afterwards changed his mind and went."
Matthew 21:28-29

I have noticed an interesting thing as I inch (and I mean at a elderly snail's pace) toward retirement. I find that I have more zeal for my job than I did years ago. Doesn't this seem like the opposite of the typical case? Four years ago, I went on my first retreat at Marymount Hermitage and had a real breakthrough about my work. I had prayed to have a spiritual vocation, a "holy" job, as such.  The message I received from Jesus was this: "You already have a holy job...just do it a better." I remember feeling so enlightened that I called coworkers on the way home and apologized for my lackluster performance since I'd been phoning it in for years. I vowed to do better. I wish, at this point, to say that I did just that, but, alas, again, I move at a snail's pace. Anything we do with love and for the glory of God, is a spiritual vocation. I feel like the son in Jesus' story. I whine about my job, but if I go out and do it, with love, to the best of my ability and for the glory of God I am doing God's will.  Let's all do that today! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment