Friday, December 1, 2017

Our God waits with us...

"The purest form of spirituality is to find God in what is right in front of you."
Fr. Richard Rohr, "Just This"

"Just This" is the little book I'm reading for Advent this year and I'm appreciating why I was drawn to it. It is simple and easy. Well, reading it is easy. Implementing it is a bit harder. We tend to complicate things spiritually, making them seem harder than they really are. Why? Maybe to make ourselves seem more righteous, virtuous, special. In fact, it is all very simple: finding God who is right in front of us. When things globally and nationally seem so dismal and difficult, all we need to do is stop and take in a moment. We need to take a deep, cleansing breath and open our heart to what is right here, right now. This morning, the first day of December, there is a blanket of fresh snow on the ground. I could get wiggy about it and dread venturing out in it, or I can look and see how God has gifted the earth with moisture and nourishment. The dark long nights of December could daunt me, or I could see them as a chance to rest; snuggle in and enjoy. The vast, bustling Christmas machine could freak me out, or I could see it as a chance to give of my resources to help others. It's all a matter of opening the heart space, the mind space, and nourishing our bodies to be aware that the God we seek is already here.  We talk of waiting in Advent, but if we open our eyes, minds and hearts, what we are waiting for is actually waiting with us.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment