Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Always tethered...

"As long as I was tethered to him, I would never completely fall."
Fr. Tom Lankenau, SJ, Bronco Catholic homily

During his homily on Sunday, Fr. Tom described an experience he'd had climbing a climbing wall while blindfolded. He described the experience of slipping and missing the holds and the difficulty of the climb.  But he also described the experience of knowing that the instructor was holding onto the ropes and he would never completely plunge to the ground. Listening to the homily brought me to tears. I feel like I'm climbing blindfolded myself, at times (and I'm fairly OK doing stuff blindfolded!) But it is still uncomfortable. I'm missing some of the footholds and handholds, to continue with the rock climbing metaphor. And it's is disconcerting to me.  But it is also very good for me. I'm learning and growing and gaining strength as I'm growing on the vine. And, as Fr. Tom points out, I'm being prepared for producing good fruit. We are always tethered to God from God's side. From our side, we can slip and wiggle around, hanging from the support rope. But we can dangle secure, knowing that God always has hold of us.  If you would like to listen to the wonderful homilies offered from Bronco Catholic, click the link below. And happy Tuesday! Love, heidi
Bronco Catholic Preaching

No comments:

Post a Comment