Thursday, May 3, 2018

Pruning the branches...

"Jesus said to his disciples, 'I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.'"
John 15:1-2

This was yesterday's Gospel and I'm still chewing on it today! Pray-As-You-Go asked what branches of ours do we see being pruned?  I sat with that a while and realized that this whole moving, retirement, life change thing I am going through is one big pruning. Some of my branches are being pruned to allow other branches to receive more nourishment and thus, become more fruitful.  It was lovely to recognize! And then I noticed, in my mental image of my branches, a lovely new little shoot, just sprouting. What's this? In addition to my branches of family, spiritual life and a life of simple service, this new little shoot is unknown to me now, but will also be enhanced and nourished as my branches of career and security are pruned.  It is exciting to think that this new little shoot will grow and flourish yet, is unknown to me now. Our lives are a continuous series of letting go and grasping onto something new. We need to let go, prune, if you will, the old; those branches have born their fruit already. New shoots await the nourishment that they can receive when we let go. Do you recognize any branches that need pruning? Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment