Monday, July 25, 2011

Treasure vs trash...

"The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."

Matthew 13:44

Yesterday, our wonderful homily was about gathering treasures instead of collecting junk.  I started to think about the summer and all the fun things Sam and I have done together and I realized such treasures will be with me for a long time....much longer than any "stuff" I could buy and stick in the closet.  The memories of golf games, the corn we've eaten at the farmer's market, Ladies night at Bingo, the festivals at the river and feeding the bears at Bear World, are worth more than all the riches in the world to me.  I want to store up the memories and be able to pull them out on a lonesome, cold, winter day; I know those days will come, all too soon.  Let's think about the treasures we are gathering as we go along...relationships, memories, time spent silently with God.  It's so much better than collecting junk like anger, bitterness and harsh judgments of others.  May your summer continue to be a treasure hunt and let's leave the junk behind! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment