Friday, August 26, 2011

Be prepared!

"But the wise virgins replied, 'No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.'"

Matthew 25:9

I will freely admit that I struggle with this reading every time it pops up. The ten virgins all are waiting for the bridegroom. Five have extra oil for their lamps and five do not. The bridegroom is delayed and the five who do not have extra oil ask the five who do to share, so they can all go out to meet the bridegroom. I guess I just can't see the moral of the story being to share what we have so all can come to the party. But, that isn't today's lesson. The lesson today is to be prepared! It continues yesterday's cry to stay awake and keep watch. Good lessons, of course, but maybe I am just more comfortable with a "sharing" lesson. Maybe the lesson is that we must take care of ourselves before we can really help someone else--that is a valuable lesson. Remember how, in an airplane, we are supposed to affix our own oxygen mask before assisting others? If we ourselves are not in good shape we cannot help others efficiently. That is a good lesson to keep in mind this Friday. But, I guess I just feel badly for the five virgins who missed the party! Blessings on you and your weekend! Be prepared! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment