Thursday, September 29, 2011

It is well...

"When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to know,
It is well, it is well, with my soul..."
Horatio Spafford and Phillip Bliss, "It is Well With My Soul"

I heard this song the other night during a TV show, of all places. It jumped out at me immediately and I forgot about the rest of the show and looked up the song. To me, it means that even when the world around us is spinning wildly out of control, we can have peace within. True peace doesn't come from the world but from our walking hand-in-hand with God. Horatio Spafford wrote the song during a time of Job-like events surrounding him. His world was completely brought down around him, and yet, he reached in and touched God within his soul. His connection to God kept him from losing his own self after he lost so many others in his life. I urge you to look up this song on You Tube (Jeremy Riddle's version is splendid) and really listen to the words. Pray the song, eyes closed and heart open. Indeed, our peace cannot come from the world around us. Our peace can only come from the Prince of Peace who lives within us, never to leave us! And, for that, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my Soul! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment