Wednesday, December 14, 2011

On silence...

''We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature -- trees, flowers, grass -- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence. ... We need silence to be able to touch souls.''
Blessed Mother Teresa

This quote was actually in our newspaper the other day. I almost missed it. It sure fits in with the message I am hearing on my journey right now. Silence. When I read it I thought about how my silent retreat last summer changed me. I'd done just what Mother Teresa suggests--spent time in nature, observing. The silence was so powerfully affirming the presence of God to me. I watched God work silently and the silence spoke to me. And since that time, I find myself craving silence and spending more and more time in silence. During these darkening last days of Advent, let's try to spend a little time with God in silence. Let's realize how God can work quietly and peacefully within us if we can just sit still! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment