Friday, December 2, 2011

Yes, yes!

"Then he touched their eyes and said, 'Let it be done for you according to your faith.'"
Matthew 9:29

According to their faith? Is Jesus saying that to me, too? But what good will that do, my faith is so wobbly? Let's look at the two blind guys Jesus healed in this reading. The reading says they followed Jesus, crying out to him. When Jesus asked them if they believed he could heal them they replied "Yes, Lord!" They obviously had faith in him. But I look at my faith a little like my effort to do silent prayer. The desire is there. I bring myself to the appropriate position.,..silence, no light on, sit comfortably, sacred word in mind. And, despite my best intentions, my mind wanders off to my grocery list or what I am going to do after work. My efforts prove weak and wobbly, just like my faith. Or are they? Just like the blind guys, we come to Jesus with desire, wanting to encounter him. We come to him because we believe he will heal us, just as the men in the Gospel did today. Jesus may ask us if we believe and our souls answer, "Yes, yes!" Even though our minds may wander, there is "Yes, Yes!" in our hearts. Jesus loves and applauds our efforts! Our desire to encounter Jesus is our following behind him, like the guys in today's Gospel. Let's make that a goal for this second weekend in Advent, Friends! Let's set aside time this weekend to encounter Jesus. Our faith will heal us! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment