Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Now that I am old and gray...

"God, you have taught me from my youth; to this day I proclaim your wondrous deeds. Now that I am old and gray, do not forsake me, God..."
Psalm 71:17-18

I wondered why the six-grader behind the counter only charged me fifty cents for my coffee. All the menus and signs around indicated coffee was $1.00. I reasoned it may be Happy Hour at McDonalds and went off to enjoy my afternoon brew. That is, until I went to throw away the receipt. I gasped. There it was. As clear as day, the receipt read, "Senior Coffee .50!" Senior coffee? The youngster didn't even ask if I was a senior or wanted the senior discount! He just assumed. I'm not a grandmother. I still claim a child dependent on my taxes! I am not old! I am so not-ready to be old! After the shock wore off, I laughed the rest of the way back to the office. Our perceptions of others can be so skewed. I'm going to think about that and take that into consideration when I hastily judge others. Judging someone as a senior citizen is tame compared to some of the false judgments I make. Lord, please help me to remember NOT to judge others, old, young, fast, slow; no matter what! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment