Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Meeting our heroes...

"Prayer is not only about entering into relationship with God; it is also about being changed."
Sr. Joyce Rupp, "Prayer"
 
I admit it. I had rehearsed what I was going to say to Sr. Joyce Rupp if I got the chance to meet her at the conference I attended. I wanted to thank her for her many books that have nourished my spirituality for almost fifteen years! I stepped up to the table where she was signing books and opened my mouth to begin my little speech. "Oh!" she said to me, "What a lovely scarf!" "Look!" she said to the gal sitting next to her, "It would go with pink or blue or anything!" She turned back to me, admiringly. I mumbled something about just getting it at the Fair Trade table, four booths down from hers. She smiled and took the book I offered for her to sign and asked my name. "Heidi? Oh that's a wonderful name...is that with an "i" or an "e" at the end?" I had intended to express my gratitude to her, but she was up two compliments on me before I knew it. She is such a gracious and kind person! It is good that we have heroes and heroines in our lives so they can compliment us and make us feel wonderful, isn't it? Somehow, I knew Sr. Joyce knew I appreciated her writing without me actually getting the words out. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment