Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Who is saved?

"'Who then can be saved?' Jesus looked at them and said, 'For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.'"
Matthew 19:25-26

I have read this reading many times, and yet, today something hit me in the reading. It seems as though Jesus was telling the disciples, and all of us, that it isn't up to us to decide who is "saved." I have had that question asked of me and, depending on my answer, the questioner would decide if I was going to heaven or not. But Jesus is saying here that those judgments are impossible for human beings to make. Jesus is saying, "It is not up to you to decide who is saved and who is not. God will sort it all out and with God, all things are possible." When Jesus gave his disciples the recipe for living life in Him, he said to feed the poor, clothe the naked, visit the prisoners, and so forth. Jesus even told them specifically NOT to judge each other. And he seems to be emphasizing that point today. God's mercy and love are so far beyond our understanding and I think we may be pretty surprised who we meet in heaven. Lucky for us, human beings aren't making those decisions! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment