Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Compassion begins at home!

"Before I am asked to show compassion to my brothers and sisters in their suffering, I am asked to accept the compassion of Jesus in my own life, to be transformed by it, and to become caring and compassion toward myself in my own failure and hurt, in my own suffering and need."
Brennan Manning, "Reflections for Ragamuffins"

Wow, that is a mouthful, but what an amazing truth! We have all heard that we can't give to others what we do not have ourselves and it is interesting to think of compassion that way. But, really, how can we know what compassion looks and feels like in our world if we do not practice it within ourselves? We learn how to give compassion by seeing and reveling in Jesus' compassion toward us. Knowing first-hand how Jesus shares our own sorrows helps us compassionately relate to others. All we have to do to recognize Jesus' compassion is to look at the cross. All of our pain, all of our suffering is right there with Jesus on the cross. We can certainly all be our own worst enemy. But, in order to give compassion out to others, we really must begin with ourselves and give ourselves a compassionate break. Love on this autumn Wednesday, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment