Thursday, September 6, 2012

My foes?

"In your loving kindness, answer me; in your compassion, turn toward me. Do not hide your face; answer quickly, for I am in distress. Come close and save me from my foes."
Psalm 69

This is my "September Psalm," which just means that I pray it everyday and hopefully, by the end of September will have it memorized. And understood. Maybe. As I prayed and thought about this Psalm the other day, I was struck by the word, "foes." Do I have foes? Save me from my foes? I couldn't think of any people-foes, so I went a bit deeper and realized that my real enemies are within. An inability to forgive and forget, perhaps. That's a foe. Also, harsh judgments I make about others are enemies within, too. And my dismissive attitude about others' opinions. My "rightness." All of these "foes" can keep me from being the person God knows I can be. So, yes, Lord. Please save me from my foes. They're aren't at the outside gate trying to get in; they are on the inside needing to be let out. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment