Monday, December 3, 2012

Come, Lord Jesus!

"The days are coming, says the Lord, when I will fulfill the promise I made to the house of Israel and Judah..."
Jeremiah 33:14

Thus begin the readings of Advent! And the theme of Advent is waiting. Jeremiah prophesies the promise of God being fulfilled and the waiting begins. So, what, exactly, are WE in 2012 waiting for? We had a wonderful homily from our visiting priest, Fr. Patrick Foley, who is here to do a mission for our parish this week. He asked this very question. What are we waiting for? He pointed out that, yes, Jesus is coming at the end of time, so that is something to wait for, but possibly not our immediate waiting-for event right now. And we are not waiting for Jesus to be born in a manger again...that happened two thousand years ago. While we commemorate it, we aren't waiting for that to happen again. We ARE waiting for Jesus to come, personally, into our lives. We must stay awake, alert, and aware to recognize Jesus. Isn't that fabulous? In today's Gospel, the centurion says, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed." (Matthew 8:8) But, my response to Jesus coming to my life this Advent is different. Yes, I am not worthy, but I say, Come, Lord Jesus, and please hurry! Love, heidi
(Reminder to all in Idaho Falls! The Mission begins today...9:00 AM at Holy Rosary, or 7:00 PM at Christ the King)

No comments:

Post a Comment