Thursday, December 6, 2012

Happy 100th!

"Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock."
Matthew 7:24

One hundred years ago today, my dad, Stewart "Mickey" Gainan was born! His name was actually Stewart Woodrow Gainan, after newly-elected president Woodrow Wilson, but people called him Mickey most all his life. The legend was that, as a lad of six, he delivered newspapers downtown, followed by a dog whose name was Mickey. So people on the paper route called my dad "Mickey" and it stuck. Dad is celebrating his 100th birthday in heaven today and I know that because he was a man who built his house on rock, just like Jesus described in this Gospel. My dad was a faithful Catholic as well as a kind and compassionate man. He went out of his way to help people--out of their way, too, as the story was often told that Dad would help Herman, the blind newspaper vendor, across the street--even if he didn't want to go. My dad mirrored God's love to me. Forty-three when I, his only child, was born, Dad showered me with unconditional love. I could do no wrong in his eyes. Thanks be to God I had a mother who was more down-to-earth or I would have been incorrigible! My dad was a singer, dancer, gentleman, and only finished the eighth grade in school. He was devoted to St. Jude, who successfully got him out of basic training in the army. He taught me everything I know about God's vast and wonderful love...firsthand. Happy 100th birthday, Dad! Thank you for showing me what building a house on solid rock looks like! Love, heidi

1 comment: