Wednesday, February 20, 2013

From the inside out...

"My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn."
Psalm 51:19

Lent, as a season, has such power to transport me back to my childhood! The early-morning mass with my pajamas on under my winter coat. The Psalms..."Let me not be put to shame" (Psalm 25:2) and "Don't let me fall into the pit" (Psalm 143:7) still linger in my memory. The sacrifice of giving up candy every single year (the Sundays were murky, then--could you eat what you had given up on Sundays, since they weren't counted in Lent?) It was so much more an exercise in sacrifice and deprivation. And a little of that didn't hurt me a bit. But, now it seems to be so much more about changing from the inside out. It is the contrite and humbled heart I am working on, not necessarily a habit or practice I will resume once Lent is over. I am so grateful for my long personal Lenten history! I am so glad it was such a rich part of my upbringing and culture! But I am also glad the season has evolved into more changing from within, drawing me deeper into relationship with God.
Love, heidi (PS: the Parish Mission has been splendid! It continues today--9:00 AM at Holy Rosary and 7:00 PM tonight at Christ the King)

No comments:

Post a Comment