Thursday, February 21, 2013

One down, five to go...

"The Lord is saying, 'I don't want your profound thoughts, the magnanimous acts of love that slide so easily off your tongue, your burnt offerings, and holocausts; I want your heart.'"
Brennan Manning, "Reflections for Ragamuffins"

I love this, but ponder its meaning. What does giving my heart to God look like in my daily life? It probably means not avoiding people I don't want to talk to. It probably means being warm and genuine with strangers. It probably means putting myself in the hard-worn shoes of others. Giving God my heart means that I will act more from the heart than from my head. I will use my heart more in reaction to others by being more compassionate and less judgmental. That all seems difficult, but well-worth the effort and definitely what God asks of me. And now, we take a brief break from this Lent to bring you a vision of Easter! Fr. Sparks told a cute story of his asking grade-school children what they think Jesus said, just after rising from the dead and emerging from the tomb. One little boy answered, "I think Jesus came out and said, 'Ta Da!!'" We have completed one week of Lent. Let's keep on with our Lenten practices, but never lose sight of the "Ta Da!!!" to come...Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment