Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Soul converses with God...

"The Soul:  'Lord! I bring thee my treasure:
It is greater than the mountains,
wider than the world,
deeper than the sea,
higher than the clouds,
more glorious than the sun,
more manifold than the stars.
It outweighs the whole earth.'
 
God: 'O thou! image of my divine Godhead,
ennobled by my humanity,
adorned by my Holy Spirit,
what is thy treasure called?'
 
The Soul: 'Lord! it is called my heart's desire,
I have withdrawn it from the world,
denied it to myself and all creatures.
Now I can bear it no longer:
where, O Lord, shall I lay it?'
 
God:  'Thy heart's desire shalt thou lay nowhere
but in my divine Heart and on my human breast.
There alone wilt thou find comfort
and be embraced by my Spirit.'"
~Mechtild of Magdeburg, thirteenth century mystic
 
I read a book on women mystics while on retreat and this particular passage, from this particular mystic really touched my heart.  What is our heart's desire? Is it getting too heavy for us to carry? Can we bring it to our God for safekeeping?  Love, heidi
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment