Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What to do, what to do?

"And when he saw them, he said, 'Go show yourselves to the priests.' As they were going they were healed."
Luke 17:14
 
One of the reflections I heard for this reading today, suggested we put ourselves in the place of these lepers.  Sitting, pondering this, there I was, hurrying to show myself to the priest.  Suddenly, I look down at my hands and notice they are healed of leprosy!  Whoa!  This is fabulous! What should I do? Well, the guy, Jesus, told me to go and show myself to the priest, so that is probably what I should do, isn't it? Maybe my staying healed is contingent on me complying with that.  Or should I go back and find Jesus again? Well, the priest will know what I should do so I will stay the course.  Now, I'm not defending the lepers here, at all, and I know the gist of this story is gratitude--a lesson I need to relearn daily.  But, after putting myself in the sandals of these lepers, I'm not going to point at them and say, "Wow, I sure would have done better than you guys! Didn't you know you should have returned to thank Jesus?"  Come to think of it, I'm going to try not to judge anyone harshly today...I could, so easily BE them.  Thanks be to God on this Hump Day! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment