Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Knowing Jesus

"Sheer scholarship alone cannot reveal to us the gospel of grace."
Brennan Manning, "Reflections for Ragamuffins"
 
I had the time to really study and ponder this yesterday and it was fascinating to me. Reading about Jesus doesn't mean we know Jesus.  I have read so much about Abraham Lincoln, but that doesn't mean I know Abraham Lincoln.  (I have high hopes for that in heaven, but that is another Heidi-Gram!) We can read and reread the New Testament cover to cover but that doesn't give us the experience of knowing Jesus.  And we need to know Jesus. How do we experience Jesus?  Fortunately, unlike Lincoln, Jesus can enter into our lives and make himself available for us to experience him.  As I have grown on my spiritual journey, I can see that happen more and more.  I seem to experience Jesus in many different situations; alone, most certainly, but also while gathered with friends, in the midst of nature, celebrating the Eucharist in community, snuggled under the covers in bed. To know Jesus and experience Jesus is to love Jesus.  We can read all about him, but we need to have the experience of Jesus as companion and friend, not just a character in a book...although it IS an excellent book!  Let's think about our relationship with Jesus as we go through our Tuesday-that-feels-like-Monday!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment