Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Doing the Sabbath...

"The Sabbath was made for humankind, not humankind for the Sabbath."
Mark 2:27
 
My coworker remarked to me last week that there just are not enough hours in the day to get everything done.  So, what does the Sabbath mean when that is the case in our busy lives?  Is the Sabbath a catch-up day, when we stack up chore upon chore and end up more exhausted than when the day began?  I don't think that is what God had in mind.  God knows that our busy lives need a Sunday afternoon nap...that is why God created the Sabbath.  I remember, even as a kid, taking a lovely nap on Sunday afternoon, following the example of my dad, asleep on the couch.  God knows exactly what we need and it is regular respite from our daily work.  We just need to find a way to incorporate it into our own lives.  I'm finding the Martha Day/Mary Day is working well.  Saturday is the busy Martha Day with many activities, chores and social fun.  Sunday is the Mary Day, for just sitting with Jesus and soaking in all the love. Oh, and enjoying the Divine Nap.  Is there a way you can do the Sabbath better?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment