Friday, January 17, 2014

Gracious or grumbling?

"After they had broken through (the roof), they let down the mat on which the paralytic was lying."
Mark 2:4
 
I have a favorite lesson from this reading, so bear with me if you've heard this before!  My question for you this winter Friday is: Are you on the mat or are you a friend carrying the corner of the mat?  Fr. Mike's homily, many years ago, asked this question, stating that all through our lives we take turns being either on the mat or carrying the mat.  There are times when we need our friends to carry us to Jesus and there are other times when we do the heavy lifting.  Hopefully, we have more times doing the carrying and lowering, but, during those times, are we available, cheerful mat-bearers?  Or do we grudgingly hoist up a corner of the mat and grumble?  I admit, I can be much more of a grumbler.  Lord, help me to see with your eyes and feel with your heart.  Sometimes, I get weary of the needs of others.  Sometimes my corner of the mat seems heavy and I glance around to see if there is anyone else to carry it.  Help me to be a gracious mat-bearer!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment