Monday, July 28, 2014

Behold...a treasure!

"Jesus said to his disciples:
'The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field,
which a person finds and hides again,
and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.'"
Matthew 13:44
 
We had a good homily about this buried treasure, that is, the Kingdom of heaven. We learned that the treasure is indeed hidden in plain sight, available to those willing to pay attention and look for it. We were asked to ponder what treasure we wish to find and sell all we have to obtain.  I feel like the treasure I'm seeking is the life of a Spiritual Director: a person with a spiritual vocation whose whole life is focused on God and helping others in their walk with God. At this point, I feel I have found the treasure and am in the process of selling all I have to purchase the field! I feel called to live a very simple life, yet a very charitable one. That is the "selling all I have" part. The classes I'm taking, the books I'm reading and the time spent in solitude and prayer are all the process of me "buying the field," as it were.  But it all isn't just about the end result! It is about the journey.  The process toward owning the treasure is, in itself, "treasurely." In working toward something--the finding, the digging, the selling, the studying, the learning--all are treasures to me.  I urge you to spend some time thinking and praying about the treasures in your life--hidden in plain view.  What do they teach you?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment