Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Friend to friend...

"Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.'"
Luke 10:40
 
Wow, just when I think I have heard a scripture passage so often it holds nothing new, I had a new thought about this one today! There were two Gospel readings on our Saint of the Day, St. Martha, and I was more inclined to use John 11:19-27, the one where Martha is meeting Jesus on the road to her house, just days after Lazarus has died.  Martha comes off a little better in that reading, as one of the few people at the time who really "got" Jesus. "I have come to believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who is coming into the world." (v. 27) Whoa! Not even the apostles had come to THAT realization at that point!  And yet, here is Martha, proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah, even before Lazarus comes walking out of the tomb.  But I noticed something, in Luke's Gospel, about the way Martha complains to Jesus about her sister that made me smile.  Martha feels so comfortable with Jesus that she speaks with him like he is real friend, companion, loved one.  She doesn't tip toe around him like he is royalty or some exalted one.  She speaks to him as a friend...complains to him, whines to him.  I sometimes speak to Jesus that way too.  Because we're friends, companions, beloved of each other.  Let's think about that today...can we speak to Jesus that way?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment