Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Of demons and pigs...

"When Jesus came to the territory of Gadarenes, two demoniacs who were coming from the tombs met him."
Matthew 8:28
 
When I came to this chapter in "Jesus: A Pilgrimage," I sat and wrote about several points Fr. James Martin brought to mind.  First, I wrote about the "demons" in me that I would like Jesus to heal.  What failings are keeping me in the tombs of my own making?  That was a humbling exercise, let me tell ya! But naming them meant putting them out there, giving them to Jesus to heal.  I also wrote about the end of this Gospel, in Mark's version (Mark 5:1-20)  when the man healed of the demons asked Jesus if he could come along with him and his disciples (v. 18)  Jesus tells him no...to go back to his family and friends and tell what God has done for him.  This seems to be the answer to my vocation quandary, too.  As much as I think I would like a vocation as a religious, I am to stay among family and friends and tell what God has done for me.  Just as the healed former demoniac, I am asked to spread the word of God's miracles in my life to those around me.  My vocation is here, living the charism of the Sisters of Charity, in my own backyard....well, and front yard, too!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment