Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Wake up, Jesus! Or not...

"Their awakening him was a sign of their lack of right understanding of who he was. They knew his power to rebuke when he was awake, but his power to rebuke when asleep they had not yet grasped."
St. John Chrysostom, "Give Us This Day"
 
Whoa!  This is amazing to ponder!  I guess I always feel the need to awaken the sleeping Jesus in my boat when the storm comes.  You mean I don't?  I guess, not only do I feel a need to awaken Jesus, but then I need to tell him all about the storm and even make suggestions for how to calm it.  St. John tells us here that Jesus can calm the storms in our lives in his sleep. In his sleep! That is going to take some time to sink in, Friends.  It kind of points to the fact that God is constantly helping us, even though we may not feel God's presence.  But I, personally, feel more comforted and secure when I feel the presence of Jesus in the storm--awake.  This was such an interesting twist to the Gospel of Jesus calming the storm, I really need to spend some time praying with it.  How about you?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment