Monday, August 18, 2014

Do it, Rich Young man!

"A young man approached Jesus and asked, 'Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?'"
Matthew 19:16

A couple of thoughts, today, on this Gospel.  First, thanks to Pray-As-You-Go, I realized that all the commandments Jesus points out to the young man are the commandments regarding how we treat others (see verse 18).  I had always just seen the "get rid of your stuff" part and didn't really dwell on the commandments Jesus quotes to him.  In other words, it's how we treat others that will give us eternal life.  That is so rich to me!  Also, I remembered reading this Gospel last summer on retreat at the Hermitage.  I was discerning my "next step" and, once I came up with what I thought that should be, Jesus asked me what would I give up to make it happen? Would I be willing to let go of anything to reach the deepest desire of my heart?  Since I have been on that journey now for a few months (Spiritual Direction training), I can see that, yes, I have had to give up vacations, resources, and so much free time.  But the fact is, it has been easy because the reward has been so wonderful.  So, my message to the Rich, Young man is:  Do it!  Have a yard sale and give up your possessions to follow Jesus!  You won't miss a thing and the reward is fabulous!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment