Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Canaanite woman, dogs and Jesus having a difficult day...

Matthew 15:21-28
 
I pondered today's Gospel, using the Ignatian technique of imagining myself there and taking it in first-hand.  This is how I saw it:
 
It's hot and smelly as I walk along with the group of people following Jesus.  I hear a woman call out to him and it startles me.  I think, "Uh oh."  I immediately get nervous because confrontation makes me anxious.  And I feel very anxious. I watch Jesus and he slows a bit, but then keeps walking, not responding to the woman's cry.  The two guys closest to Jesus say something to him, motioning for him to move forward. I can't tell if they are telling him to just answer her request and be done with it, or send her away--"We're ALL tired and done dealing with the crowd!"  Jesus stops and shakes his head, sadly.  "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."  I felt that Jesus was sad this woman didn't fall into his jurisdiction to "fix." The woman pushes through the crowd, making me even more nervous--this could get dicey.  She kneels down in front of Jesus, begging him to have pity on her.  Her daughter is suffering with a demon. I glance between the woman on her knees in the dirt and Jesus' face.  He shakes his head, again sadly, and uses a rather unkind metaphor about giving the children's food to the dogs.  I wince. Ouch.  Unfortunate choice of words, Jesus!  I feel sorry for the woman and am a little disappointed in Jesus.  But, whoa!  What did she just say?  I clarify with the person next to me because I just can't believe she said what she said.  "The scraps that fall from the table are given to the dogs?"  Did I hear that right?  I eagerly search Jesus' face.  I see it soften and his eyes seem to be moistening.  He gently takes her hands in his hands and helps her to her feet.  He says to her, "Woman."  Such a term of intimacy and endearment!  (He calls his mother that!)  He tells her that her faith is amazing and her daughter will be healed.  He gives her hands a squeeze and sends her off to her daughter.  He turns back to the way he was going and shakes his head again, as if to say, "Wow...what a powerful lesson that was!"

2 comments:

  1. Wow Heidi,

    Never thought of looking at it this way. Incredible insight. Thank you for sharing,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the lesson of persistence, too.- Robin -

    ReplyDelete