Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Don't say it!

"It's not what enters one's mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth..."
Matthew 15:11
 
This is one of those scriptures I need to have embroidered on a pillow so I can see it all the time!  It always happens so fast.  It's not that I intend to say something wrong, but suddenly--bam! there it is, in a bubble over my head...an offensive utterance.  Later, I look back and think, "Why on earth did I say that??" In Spiritual Direction training we have a motto of sorts:  "Silent, slow, stupid."  That is, appreciate the silence...God can speak in the silence and it's better to have silence than to say something you'll regret. Also, prayerfully and slowly say what God gives you to say and don't pretend to think or know everything--because you don't.  I think I need to apply that to ALL my conversations!  The fact that I eat cookies in threes isn't going to defile me, but the things I say surely can!  Lord, please help me to engage the clutch on my mouth when I'm about to say something I shouldn't!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment