Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Turn, turn, turn...

"There is an appointed time for everything,
and a time for every affair under the heavens.
A time to give birth, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant..."
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
 
I had a wonderful time at the Hermitage, but one thing really struck me that first afternoon as I ate my lunch on my porch.  All the foliage surrounding my little hermitage was dead!  The underbrush and shrubs were either losing or had already lost their leaves and the plants that were blooming the last time I was there are just a rustling memory now.  I knew there was a lesson in this for me, so I prayed about learning it!  What I realized is that the earth, in all its Divine wisdom, was just yielding to the circle of life.  The earth needs to rest after the busy summer of blooming and now needs to rejuvenate.  It's the same with people.  The shorter days and long nights will give us a chance to rest too.  The busy summer nights will be replaced by lazier winter evenings. Why, I already find myself going to bed earlier! From the beginning of Creation, rest was necessary, even for God!  So, now, begin your rest, Dear Earth.  Deep in the rustling dead leaves are the buds of new life that I will see next summer at the Hermitage.  I will take my cue from your wisdom and slow my life down too, a bit.  Thank you. for teaching us to rest.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment