Thursday, September 25, 2014

What profit?

"What profit has man from all the labor which he toils at under the sun?"
Ecclesiastes 1:3
 
It was cute, on Pray-as-you-Go this morning, they asked the question, "Does the writer sound a bit grumpy?"  I would say yes, and he probably wrote this scripture on a Monday morning!  But it does get me thinking...what am I toiling for?  I realize, first of all, that I do what I do for God.  My paycheck may come from the State of Idaho, but my real Boss goes a bit higher than that.  That is one thing I need to remember when I have days like the one the author of Ecclesiastes is having.  The other thing I need to remember is the element of service that Jesus modeled for us.  Serving each other and helping each other are definitely fruits of the labor of my job.  There are days where I can look back and see I was able to help someone and there are other days I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall...just like with all of us.  Years ago, my friend, Kathleen used to tell her very young son, who asked why she had to go to work,  "I go to work so we can buy food and toys."  Well, I work for those as well, but I hope I also work to serve the best Boss in the world and to serve the people put in my path.  Today, (OK, it's easier because tomorrow is Friday!) let's consider who we really serve as we go off to do what we do. And, since tomorrow is pay day, we can look forward to buying food and toys!   Hi Ho, Hi Ho...love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment