Friday, October 3, 2014

Gliding on the breeze...

"If I fly with the wings of dawn and alight beyond the sea,
Even there your hand will guide me, your right hand hold me fast."
Psalm 139:9-10
 
My first afternoon on retreat at the Hermitage, I watched a large bird fly overhead.  He wasn't flying, really, he was more just gliding along.  His wings didn't flap at all, I only watched him glide on the air current.  It was a bit breezy that day and I noticed he just moved up and down, catching the current and allowing it to propel him through the air.  I decided that I wanted to do the same on retreat.  I wanted to just glide along, allowing the current of the Holy Spirit to move me through the days ahead.  I didn't want to have an agenda or feel I should be doing this or that.  I didn't want to be flapping my wings, trying to make something happen.  I just wanted to be free to glide and go where God led me.  Interestingly, I felt later I was able to do just that.  If the urge to take a walk hit me, that's what I did. If I felt called to climb into and explore the ravine, I did that.  If I felt beckoned to go outside in the middle of the night to look at the stars, I did (albeit, a bit reluctantly!)  It was an incredible ride, gliding on the Holy Spirit's current!  I think I will try to do that more in my everyday life, too.  Blessings on your weekend!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment