Friday, November 21, 2014

Honor the sacred

"Jesus entered the temple area and proceeded to drive out those who were selling things..."
Luke 19:45
 
Several things about this reading popped into my head as I read it this morning. I often think of this reading when pondering Jesus' humanity.  "Jesus was a real human being--look how angry he got in the temple!" I often think. I picture him turning over the tables and see him consumed with righteous anger over what was happening there.  What was happening there?  People were buying and selling.  Commerce was happening.  People needed to purchase birds and other animals for their temple sacrifices and other people were making a buck providing them for purchase.  What's so wrong about that? I remember hearing a homily that explained people selling were taking advantage of the "buyers." If people were being mistreated in this process of buying and selling it is easy to understand Jesus' anger. What does it mean for us, today?  What is Jesus teaching us?  I think it is it is be reverent and aware of all that is sacred...and that includes other human beings.  God's house is sacred and so are God's people.  Love God and love each other...always the message of Jesus!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment