Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Enjoy the darkness...

"Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side..."
Psalm 23:4
 
The days are so short now it seems like it's always dark.  It's barely light when I go to work and dark when I get home.  These days of darkness can be so hard!  I think we need to try and make friends with the darkness by deeply considering all the good that can happen while this darkness prevails.  What good, exactly?  Well, it gives us a chance to rest.  It's much easier to go to bed earlier now and get some much-needed extra shut-eye.  Forcing myself out into the darkness to walk the dog at night, I see how truly beautiful it can be outside on a winter night.  Last night there was a mysterious fog over the neighborhood and it was really lovely.  Winter darkness can hold a beauty we miss if we don't venture out.  Also, it may help to consider all the trees and perennials resting up for their future glory in the spring.  They may look bare and dead, but deep inside, they are just waiting to burst forth!  There is beauty in every season and each season holds special gifts for us.  For me, it is harder to perceive this beauty in the winter, but it is certainly there.  Lord, help me to see and appreciate this season of short, short days!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment