Thursday, December 4, 2014

Built on rock

"Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock."
Matthew 7:24
 
As I sat and prayed with this reading today, I immediately thought of my dad.  He was as rock-solid a Catholic as you could ever hope to find, and yet, when he made his Cursillo at age 65, his faith changed markedly.  Previously, he was all about the ritual--Sunday mass, daily mass during Lent, mass on the Holy Days (he called them the "Wild Cards").  But, after Cursillo, he began volunteering at St. Vincent de Paul.  He began serving the poor, meeting with other fellows in a 4th day and his faith became more about loving and serving others. It was such a stunning change.  I can honestly say that Cursillo taught me how to flesh out my faith, too.  Thankfully, I didn't wait until age sixty-five!  Cursillo teaches us how to put legs on our faith.  Jesus says in this Gospel we must do the will of our Father in heaven and Jesus spells that out as loving each other and caring for the poor.  It couldn't be clearer. It couldn't be harder.  Lord, please help us to carry out the true work of our Father by loving those here on earth with us.  Help us to build our faith on the solid foundation of loving you and loving others. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment