Monday, August 17, 2015

All we need...

"When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions."
Matthew 19:22

This reading always gets to me, for many reasons.  The main one, though, is the sadness in the rich, young man, because he just can't do what Jesus asks of him. He cannot give up his "many possessions" and follow Jesus.  I get hung up on the possessions part and think to myself that I have way more possessions, too. But I think that isn't the whole point.  The rich, young man doesn't recognize that, in following Jesus, he won't need his possessions.  Jesus will help him with his need for so much stuff and fulfill him in such a way that things are no longer necessary.  Just being with Jesus and following Jesus will curb his human need for earthly possessions.  And that seems to be the point for me this go-around with this Gospel. Jesus, you know my weakness for things--shiny things, white shirts (!), even things like control, acceptance and approval of others.  All you really desire is that I follow you and let you take care of all those needs in me.  Following you closely will fulfill all my needs and wants.  I don't want to turn away from you, sad like the young man, but I want to understand and appreciate that you are truly all I need!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment