Saturday, June 25, 2016

What is freedom?

"For freedom Christ sets us free...for you were called for freedom."
Galatians 5:1,13

This reading got me thinking about freedom. What is this freedom St. Paul is talking about, that Christ gives to us? These last few years I've noticed some things about freedom that seem new and fresh to me. First, the less you actually possess the freer you are. Stuff, even stuff we like and work hard to obtain, can be burdensome. So, there is freedom in owning less. Along with that, the less shacked we are, even by our own opinions, the freer we can be. The less dualistic (us vs. them, good guys vs. bad) we are, the freer we are. If I let go of my strong sense of rightness and opinion that I'm right and you're wrong, I am freer to love you, even if we disagree. We are no longer opponents, even if we don't see eye to eye. I love you better when I'm not opposing you. So, this is the type of freedom I think Paul is talking about here...freedom to love. And that is worth celebrating! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment