Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Jump up and follow!

"I have come to call, not the righteous, but the sinners."
Matthew 9:13

When Jesus walked by Matthew's tax collecting booth and said, "Follow me," we are told that Matthew just got up and went.  Jesus called a sinner and Matthew got up and followed. Just like that.  We don't even get a hint of hesitation on Matthew's part. He changes his life for Jesus immediately and completely. Amazing, that. What about us? We are fortunate in that we are the sinners Jesus came to call in our time. How do we respond? Do we just get up and follow? What does that look like? It could look like this: changing our thinking into a more loving approach. Thinking of our possessions as not ours but belonging to all who are in need. Loving the people who drive us nuts and scooping up those who are lonely and alone on the fringe. How quickly do we get up and follow Jesus, if we really know what that entails? Jesus, I know you call me every single day! You call me out of my comfortable, cozy little life into doing harder stuff. I may want to follow, just as easily and willingly as Matthew, but I may get stuck along the way.  Change my heart, please, into a more loving heart for others!  Then I can jump up and follow you!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment