Tuesday, September 20, 2016

You are enough!

"All I can give back to God is who I really and fully am."
Fr. Richard Rohr, Daily Reflection, 9/20/16

I could sit and ponder this forever, and just may when I go on retreat next month! But the first thing that pops into my mind, unfortunately, is that who I really and fully am couldn't be enough for God. And that isn't humility, either, which would be OK. That is me doubting and questioning the goodness of what God has created. And who am I to do that? I think we really need to move past the picture of ourselves as falling so short of God's desire, when all God really desires of us is surrender.  Let's go there again...all God really desires of us is surrender.  Not perfection. Not hours and hours of rote prayers. Not beating our breast to be seen beating our breast. Another quote from this same Reflection today is, "All God wants from you is you."  Our unique selves, our unique gifts and abilities are treasured by God. Our "you-ness" was created by God. And all God wants is that back in surrender.  And what would that look like? Our surrender means we choose our actions to be what Jesus would do in any given situation.  And that's easy to figure out if we read the Gospels. It isn't a mystery what Jesus would ask of us...kindness toward others, compassion and love for the poor, welcoming strangers, sharing what we have, living simply and generously. It may be easy to figure out, but it's sure harder to do! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment