Sunday, September 11, 2016

Never Forget or Always Remember...

I bristle when I see posts that say "Never Forget" the events of 9/11. I prayerfully explored why earlier today as I sat in silence, remembering the day.  I realized I tend to equate Never Forget with "Never forget what they did to us." We learn that our compassionate and loving God forgives AND forgets our sins...shouldn't we try to forget as well as forgive those who harm us? What I choose to remember about the events of 9/11 aren't  the bad things that happened, but I choose to remember the good things. I choose to remember the heroes and heroines of the day and months that followed. I choose to remember the strangers reaching out to each other, united in tragedy. I choose to remember the helpers, the first responders, the selfless acts of courage from that day and days since.  I choose to remember the good and decent people who were lost to their families, but also to those of us who didn't have the chance to know them. So, instead of saying Never Forget when it comes to 9/11, I'm going to say "Always Remember" instead. Always remember the helpers and the good.  Always remember that God loves us and can bring good from every tragedy. And always remember that we are to love each other, too.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment