Friday, October 28, 2016

No longer strangers...

"Brothers and sisters: You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God..."
Ephesians 2:19

I think the most powerful experience I've had the last several years is journeying with seniors during the last years of their lives.  The nature of my caseload and the fact that most of the people I work with are in their 70's and 80's just lends itself to me watching them decline and even enter Eternal Life on my watch. Since I've just recently started as a Hospice volunteer, it is reinforced to me that we are no longer strangers and sojourners, but one family of God...no matter who we are.  I have had the experience of just sitting with a person as they journey toward God's full embrace and it is amazing how nothing else matters. It doesn't matter what religion they are, or what political party they belong to or any other particularity about them or me. It only matters that we share time together and journey together, even if it is just a short time. We all share time and space on this planet and that is a truly beautiful thing.  Today, let's take a loving look at the people in our day. Let's be reminded that each person is a gift to us from our God who loves us beyond measure. Is there something we can do to make their day better?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment