Monday, October 31, 2016

Thy Kingdom come...thy will be done

"In short, prayer is not about changing God, but being willing to let God change us, or as Step 11 says, 'praying only for the knowledge of God's will.'"
Fr. Richard Rohr, "Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps"

Whoa, and all these years I have prayed to get God onboard with what I want and think I need!  This makes so much sense to me now, though. Jesus invites us to pray and our prayers will be answered (Matthew 7:7) and we all have had the experience of saying, "Really? I didn't get what I prayed for! I prayed for this to happen and it didn't. That happened instead, so I guess prayer doesn't really work." But when we pray for certain outcomes to occur we aren't necessarily praying with the mind of Christ or for a greater good or for the Bigger Picture.  We are praying for what we think is best on any given day, and our prayers may be naively short-sighted.  Today let's think about praying more for God's will than our own.  Our prayer isn't to change God's mind...but to change our own minds to align better with God's.  Love, heidi 

No comments:

Post a Comment